Google+ Badge

Monday, October 30, 2006

My condolences to Norm

This morning Prime Minister Brian Mulroney's former chief of staff Norman Spector called Tory turned Liberal MP Belinda Stronach a "bitch." Speaking with CKNW's Bill Good this morning about Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay's refusal to apologize for allegedly suggesting Ms. Stronach is a dog, Mr. Spector said, "I think she's a bitch. It's as simple as that. And I think that 90 percent of men would probably say she's a bitch for the way she's broken up (retired hockey player) Tie Domi's home and the way she dumped Peter MacKay. She is a bitch."

Now after dumping him and publicly humiliating him, I am sure Peter McKay called her a lot worse names than that. Predictably enough though Norm has been castigated in the media although so far not to the same extent that I was when back in November of 2003 I called Jenny Kwan an airhead on the radio.

People were so pissed off at me, despite the fact that I issued a full and public apology to Ms. Kwan later the same day, that I even made it into an editorial cartoon a month later. It was during this time that one of my many good friends who happens to be of a different gender and ethnicity than me explained to me the victimisation scale and the degree to which those of us at the bottom of the scale are not allowed to comment in any negative way about those who have a higher ranking on the victimisation scale.

So while I mourn the on-going strangling of free speech by both those on the political left in Canada and on those on the political right in the United States, I thought I would take time to e-mail Norm a quick letter of condolence.

From: Michael Geoghegan
To: Norman Spector
Sent: October 30, 2006 1:33 PM
Subject: my condolences

Hi Norm:

Belinda Stronach may be a bitch (I am sure Peter McKay thinks she is) and Jenny Kwan may be an airhead (certainly behind closed doors many an NDPer referred to her as being that), but remember that unfortunately here in Canada white males are not allowed to make those kind of comments, we are only allowed to belittle people of the same gender and ethnicity.

The irony being the extent to which you will be publicly condemned by the forces of political correctness will be based on a victimisation scale that is made up of entirely racist and sexist criteria. For example, you and Belinda are both white (that puts you both at the bottom of the victimisation scale) you are male (that puts you one notch down) she is female (that puts her one notch up), you are Jewish (that puts you one notch up) and she's a billionaire (that puts her one notch down) so you should be fine.

To put it another way if Rona Ambrose had called Belinda a bitch that would be okay. Or if Olivia Chow had called Jenny Kwan an airhead that would have been fine as well (although it might have caused an internal fuss amongst NDPers).

Isn't great living in such a free thinking non-racist and non-sexist society where your gender and ethnicity determine what comments you are publicly allowed to say...

Mike Geoghegan
http://www.mgcltd.ca/

5 comments:

Meaghan Walker-Williams said...

Hey... what about me... I called you up and reminded you that you had to have a vagina of a different ethnicity to get away with making such a different remark. ;)

Mike Geoghegan said...

LOL, yes you did and it certainly was as true then as it is now.

I salute you for your on-going defence of free speech.

PelaLusa said...

Mike, good points throughout! It'll be interesting to see what happens to Spector. By the way, between 4:30 - 5:00pm today on 'NW there's a discussion about what happened this morning. You can listen to it via their great Audio Vault feature.

MBeardsell// said...

Hi, Mike!

Although I don't have a lot of pity for "The Spectre" (I STILL remember November 11, 1985), I think I have a little insight into what he is going through.

Up here in the Nass valley, I'm NOT very high on the "victim-o-metre", but there is the following problems:
1) I have no citizen rights.
2) I do not fit in to the local society.
3) I cannot comment on ANY injustices I witness.
4) I cannot use my legal powers as a teacher in the Province of British Columbia. to prevent abuse and racism.

Why?

Because I am WHITE and MALE.

I have been iinformed by my own union that "Only Whites can be racist, and only males can be sexist."

That is because "White males are the traditional oppressors".

The traditionally "oppressed" are allowed to oppress for as long as they feel is necessary in order to maqke things "Better for them".

Read into that whatever you feel. :-(

MB//

Mike Geoghegan said...

Thanks for the tip on checking out CKNW's audio vault.

Mark you have my sympathies. Anyone who thinks that only white people can be racist has never been to Japan, which is perhaps one of the most xenophobic nations on the face of the earth.